COVID-19: An Ontological Human Circus?
Geopolitical and national interests predominate, given that a war between Russia and Ukraine would result in a daily economic decline in both countries. I am convinced that countries, not their people, wage wars. People have other concerns, such as food and a virus that has apparently not yet left these countries. Several plausibility arguments are presented in the first section of the paper, which addresses the persistently debated virus's origins. In contrast, its leadership continues to flounder. Numerous healthcare workers perished on the front lines, but there was scant coverage of their deaths during the first year of the pandemic and none since. The elderly, the frail elderly, and even the young are the most severely affected by the pandemic deaths that have occurred over the past two years and continue to occur. Current ontology is concerned with the controversies, hypotheses, and theories surrounding this damned insignificant RNA and its capacity to cause such catastrophic harm to humanity. Indeed, the issue is its disputed and contested origin. After two years, it appears that the graphs, countries, and news that are updated every minute on the Worldometer have not changed. However, something has changed; for example, countries have ceased to report the incidence of COVID-19 deaths.
Ontology Revisited, Covid-19 Circus
- Agamben, G. (2020). Normalising the state of exception under the Covid-19 epidemic. Interview transcript. http://autonomies.org/2020/03/giorgio-agamben-normalising-the-state-of-exception-under-the-covid-19-epidemic/
- Agency France Presse (AFP). https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1638087425921810432/photo/1
- Carden, A. (2020, 23 December). Covid’s Lesson: Some animals are more equal than others. https://www.forbes.com/sites/artcarden/2020/12/22/covids-lesson-some-animals-are-more-equal-than-others/?sh=57d06e805282
- Carnahhan, A. (February 27, 2023). COVID lab leak theory appears vindicated after Energy Department report: 'They censored us, trashed us'. https://www.foxnews.com/media/covid-lab-leak-theory-appears-vindicated-energy-department-report-censored-trashed?intcmp=tw_fnc.
- Cecco, L. (2022, 28 January). Toronto the guardian, Canada truckers’ vaccine protest spirals into calls to repeal all public health rules. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/28/canada-truckers-covid-vaccine-mandate-protest-government
- Cockburn, P. (2020, 23 April). How the coronavirus pandemic would look in Australia if Ruby princess had never docked. ABC. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-23/coronavirus-across-australia-if-ruby-princess-never-docked/12172314
- Colla, M. (2020, 24 December 24). The vanishing hegemon. The Interpreter.https://www.lowyinstitute.org/the-interpreter/debate/good-government-bad-government-politics-public-health
- Confidence testing for at-border delivery of critical human biosecurity functions ‒ Ruby Princess cruise ship incident, Report by the Inspector-General of Biosecurity.
- DAWE (2021). Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment, Canberra.
- El Maarouf, M., Belghazi, T., & El Maarouf , F. (2021). COVID–19: A critical ontology of the present1. Educational Philosophy and Theory. 53(1), 71-89, DOI: 10.1080/00131857.2020.1757426 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/00131857.2020.1757426
- Erdem, H., and Lucey, D. R. (2021). Healthcare worker infections and deaths due to COVID-19: A survey from 37 nations and a call for WHO to post national data on their website. International Journal of Infectious Diseases: IJID. 102, 239–241. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijid.2020.10.064 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijid.2020.10.064
- Francis, A., & Udah, H. (2020). Coronavirus and Ruby princess crew in Australia: A call for increased macro level social work. International Journal of Innovation, Creativity and Change. 14, 166-181.
- Gilbert, P. (2006). Evolution and depression: issues and implications. Psychological Medicine. 36(3), 287–297. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0033291705006112 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/S0033291705006112
- Giles, T, Wicary, S and Bloomberg (2022, 18 February). One of the top donors to the ‘Freedom Convoy’ is a billionaire Silicon Valley executive. https://fortune.com/2022/02/17/freedom-convoy-top-donors-tom-siebel-leak-canada-covid-protests/
- Gul, R and Akhgar, T. (2020). Aug. 27, 2020, death toll from heavy Afghanistan flooding surpasses 150. Associated Press. https://apnews.com/article/asia-pacific-5056a516c9c3a220509c6ef36dffc532
- Mcgregor, R. (2020, 24 January). Wuhan coronavirus: How upfront has Beijing been? Lowly Institute. https://www.lowyinstitute.org/the-interpreter/wuhan-coronavirus-just-how-upfront-has-beijing-been
- Morrissey P. (2020). COVID-19 pandemic: The circus is over, for the moment. Journal of Bioethical Inquiry. 17(4), 591–593. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11673-020-10012-z
- O’Sullivan, D., Rahamathulla, M., & Pawar, M. (2020). The impact and implications of COVID-19: An Australian perspective. The International Journal of Community. https://eprints.qut.edu.au/202209/ DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/2516602620937922
- Pulla, V. (2013). Coping and resilience: People's innovative solutions. International Journal of Innovation, Creativity and Change. 1(1). https://www.ijicc.net/images/Vol1iss1/Final_pulla_article.pdf
- Rachman, G. (2020, 23 March). Nationalism is a side effect of coronavirus. Financial Times. https://www.ft.com/content/644fd920-6cea-11ea-9bca-bf503995cd6f
- Renwick, D, and Dubnow, S. (2020, 26 August). Over 1,000 US health workers died of Covid-19: Many were immigrants and minorities.The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/aug/26/us-health-workers-covid-19-deaths-lost-on-the-frontline
- Spencer, J., and Jewett, C. ( 2021, 8 April). Twelve months of trauma: more than 3,600 US health workers died in Corvid’s first year. The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/apr/08/us-health-workers-deaths-covid-lost-on-the-frontline
- Sumner, S. (2021a). Readers’ comments on when regulators engage in "White Lies" - Econlib. [online] Econlib. https://www.econlib.org/when-regulators-engage-in-white-lies/
- Sumner, S., (2021b). When regulators engage in “White Lies”. https://www.econlib.org/when-regulators-engage-in-white-lies/
- Taylor, C. (2020). 17 November 2020, the origins of COVID-19 are 12 months old and here's what we know about how it started. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-17/coronavirus-origins-wuhan-12-months-on/12890076
- Wilson, D. A. (2017). Circus animals and the illusion of wildness. Early Popular Visual Culture. 15(3), 350-366. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/17460654.2017.1383018 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/17460654.2017.1383018
- World Health Organization. (2021). The impact of COVID-19 on health and care workers: a closer look at deaths. World Health Organization. https://apps.who.int/iris/handle/10665/345300.