At the heart of this research is a description of the Meyor community, one of the least known tribes of the world. Geographically, this community is found in the Walong and Kibatoo circles of Anjaw district of Arunachal Pradesh. Drawing upon ethnographic research, supplemented by interviews, this article aims to describe an account of this hidden tribe.
Meyor, Zakhring, Ethnographic Observation, Anjaw District, Arunachal Pradesh, India
- Aiyadurai, Ambika (2011). Meyor: The Least Studied Frontier Tribe of Arunachal Pradesh, Eastern Anthropologist, 64 (4), 459-469.
- Barua, S. (1995). Zakhring.In: People of India: Arunachal Pradesh, Vol. XIV. Ed by K.S. Singh, Anthropological Survey of India, Calcutta: Seagull Books
- Bhattacharyya, R. (2019). Chapter Six: Did Indiaâ€™s Partition lead to Segregation of North East India? In A. Ranjan. (Eds.), Partition of India: Postcolonial Legacies. Oxon and New York: Routledge, 105-131 DOI: https://doi.org/10.4324/9780429422959-7
- Bhattacharyya, R. (2018a). Living with Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) as Everyday Life, GeoJournal, 83(1), 31-48, DOI: 10.1007/s10708-016-9752-9 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10708-016-9752-9
- Bhattacharyya, R (2018b). Child Sponsorship: Exploring Pathways to a Brighter Future, Progress in Development Studies, 1-2, 10.1177/1464993418799895
- Bhattacharyya, R. (2017). Sociologies of Indiaâ€™s Missing Children, Asian Social Work and Policy Review, 11(1), 90-101, DOI:10.1111/aswp.12116 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/aswp.12116
- Bhattacharyya, R. (2015). Working Childhoods: Youth, Agency and the Environment in India, Progress in Development Studies, 15(3), 292-294, DOI: 10.1177/1464993415578570 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/1464993415578570
- Census of India (2011), retrieved on 30 July 2017 from, http://censusindia.gov.in/
- Chakravorty, Mridul Kumar(2015). The Zakhring Community of Arunachal Pradesh: Notes on a Lost Tribe, Space and Culture, India, 3(2), 94-102, DOI 10.20896/SACI.V3I2.152
- Choudhury, S.D. (1978). Lohit District: Arunachal Pradesh District Gazetteers. Information and Public Relations, Government of Arunachal Pradesh, Shillong, retrieved on 30 December2017from, http://www.arunachalpradesh.gov.in/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Lohit.pdf
- Dyson, Jane (2014).Working Childhoods: Youth, Agency and the Environment in India. Cambridge, United Kingdom: Cambridge University Press DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9781107415706
- Dyson, Jane (2008). Harvesting Identities: Youth, Work, and Gender in the Indian Himalayas, Annals of the Association of American Geographers, 98(1), 160-179, DOI: 10.1080/00045600701734554 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/00045600701734554
- Elwin, Verrier (1959). A Philosophy for NEFA, Calcutta: Navana Printing Works Private Limited
- Fernandes, W. and Barbora, S. (2002a). (eds.) Changing womenâ€™s status in India: Focus in the North-East, Guwahati: North Eastern Social Research Centre
- Fernandes, W. and Barbora, S. (2002b). (eds.) Modernisation and womenâ€™s status in North Eastern India: A comparative study of six tribes, Guwahati: North Eastern Social Research Centre
- Harvey, David (1989). The condition of post modernity: An inquiry into the origins of cultural change, Cambridge/Oxford: Blackwell
- India State of Forest Report, Forest Cover 2017, Forest Survey of India, retrieved on 31 December2017from, http://fsi.nic.in/isfr2017/isfr-forest-cover-2017.pdf
- ISROâ€™s communication satellite GSAT-29 to provide high-speed connectivity in remote areas of India; launch today (14 November 2018).The Hindustan Times, retrieved 14 November2018from, https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/isro-to-launch-india-s-latest-communication-satellite-gsat-29-today/story-i7zm81B7kVI35lLNc6RvPM.html
- Kala,ChandraPrakash,Dollo,Mihin,Farooquee,Nehal A., Choudhury, Drupad C. (2008). Land-Use Management and Wet-Rice Cultivation (Jebi Aji) by the Apatani People in Arunachal Pradesh, India Traditional Knowledge and Practices, Outlook on Agriculture, 37(2), 125â€“129, https://doi.org/10.5367/000000008784648906 DOI: https://doi.org/10.5367/000000008784648906
- Kingdon-Ward, Jean (1952). My Hill So Strong, London: The Alden Press, Bound by A. W. Bain &Co. Ltd.
- LeCompte, M. D., and Goetz, J. P. (1982). Problems of reliability and validity in ethnographic research, Review of Educational Research, 52(1), 31â€“60 DOI: https://doi.org/10.3102/00346543052001031
- LeCompte, M. D., and Schensul, J. J. (2010). Designing and conducting ethnographic research: An introduction, New York: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers.
- Ramakrishnan, P.S. (n.d.). Apatani Wet Rice Cultivation: An Example of a highly evolved traditional agroecosystem, retrieved 13 August 2018 from,http://www.fao.org/fileadmin/templates/giahs/PDF/apatani_wet_rice_cultivation.pdf
- Sarkar, J. (1996). Bridge-Communities in Cross Road: Some Observations from Arunachal Pradesh. In By R.S. Mann (ed.) Tribes of India: Ongoing Challenges. New Delhi: M. D. Publications, 395-402
- Sharma, N. (2013). Forests, Tribals and the Voice of Dissent: The Story of a Social Actor, Space and Culture, India, 1(2), 53-58. https://doi.org/10.20896/saci.v1i2.31 DOI: https://doi.org/10.20896/saci.v1i2.31
- Singh, K.S. (1995). People of India-Arunachal Pradesh (Volume XIV), Anthropological Survey of India, Seagull Books, Calcutta.
- Singh, S. (2015). Women as Milieu Managers in Integrated Watershed Management: Perspectives from the Hilly Areas of Uttarakhand, Space and Culture, India, 2(4), 71-79. https://doi.org/10.20896/saci.v2i4.130 DOI: https://doi.org/10.20896/saci.v2i4.130
- Singh, S. (2014). Women, Environment and Sustainable Development: A Case Study of Khul Gad Micro Watershed of Kumoun Himalaya, Space and Culture, India, 1(3), 53-64. https://doi.org/10.20896/saci.v1i3.45 DOI: https://doi.org/10.20896/saci.v1i3.45
- Taher, M. and Ahmed, P. (2001). Geography of North-east India. Guwahati: Mani Manik Prakash
- Tizianna and Baldizzone, Gianni (n.d.). Hidden Tribes of India, Unknown Publisher, ISBN: 9628711032
- This village in Arunachal is home to only 76 people (31 March 2018). Times of India, retrieved on 31 March 2018 from, http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/63556595.cms?utm_source=contentofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst