This research presents a short historiographical review of the Alash movement. It reflects the researchers’ own version of periodisation of the history of the first Kazakh national party Alash that belonged to the liberal democratic wing. The researchers identify four stages in the history of the movement connected with the main landmarks of its short, yet significant existence. The periods of Alash history are determined based on changes in strategy and tactics, as well as the evolution of its organisational forms (a movement— a party during elections to the Constituent Assembly — the ruling party in the Alash Autonomy and Alash Orda government). A conclusion is made that national parties set forth the conditions and ways of modernisation in the most acceptable forms and combinations for each corresponding nation; possible parallels in the development pathways followed by other national parties in 1918–1920 are pointed out.
history of Kazakhstan in the 20th century, Soviet history, political parties of Kazakhstan, Alash, Alash Orda, stages in the history of the Alash party
- Akkuly, S.Kh. (2016). Alikhan Bukeikhanov. Almaty: Er Zhonibek.
- Amanzholova, D.A. (1993). Party Alash: history and historiography. Kazakhstan: Semipalatinsk.
- Amanzholova, D.A. (1994). Kazakh autonomy and Russia. History of the Alash movement. Moscow: Rossiya Molodaya.
- Amanzholova, D.A. (2009). On the break. Alash in the ethnopolitical history of Kazakhstan. Almaty: Taimas Publishing House.
- Asfendiarov, S.D. (1993). History of Kazakhstan (from ancient times). 2nd edition. Almaty: Kazakh University.
- Bochagov, A.K. (1927). Alash-Orda. A brief historical essay on the national-bourgeois movement in Kazakhstan from 1917 to 1919. Kzyl-Orda: State Publishing House of the KSSR.
- Brainin, S., & Shafiro, S. (1933). On the origins of the Alash movement. Bolshevik Kazakhstana, 6, 42-48.
- Brainin, S., & Shafiro, S. (1935). Essays on the history of the Alash-Orda. Kazakhstan: Almaty, 145.
- Bukeikhan, A. (1995). Alikhan Bukeikhan. Selection. Almaty: Kazakh encyclopedias.
- Grigoryev, V.K. (1989). Confrontation. The Bolsheviks and non-proletarian parties in Kazakhstan in 1917–1920. Kazakhstan: Almaty, 248.
- History of Kazakhstan (from ancient times to our days). (2009). In five volumes. Vol. 4. Almaty: Atamura.
- Kenzhin, A. (1922). To the historical evaluation of the Alash-Orda activity. Stepnaya Pravda, 247, 14 November.
- Koigeldiev, M.K. (1995). Alash kozgalysy. Almaty: Sanat.
- Martynenko, N. (1992). Alash-Orda. Collection of documents. Almaty: Aykap.
- Mazhitova, Zh.S., Saktaganova, Z., Ilyasov, S., Abdrakhmanova, K., Uskembayev, K., Zuyeva, L., Tleugabilova, K., & Ogoltseva, E. (2016). Ideological and theoretical foundations of biysʼ institute in the pre-Soviet historiography. Man In India, 96(10), 3647-3659.
- Nurmagambetova, R.K. (2003). Movement “Alash” and “Alash-Orda”. Historiography of the problem. 1920’s-1990’s of the 20th century. Kazakhstan: Almaty, 153.
- Nurpesov, K.N. (1995). Alash ham Alashorda. Kazakhstan: Almaty, 255.
- Proceedings of the Society for the Study of the Kyrgyz Krai. (1922). Vol. 3. Orenburg, 20-25.
- Ryskulov, T. (1984). On the counter-revolutionary Alash-Orda and its fragments. Selected Works. Kazakhstan: Almaty, 206-213.
- Ryskulov, T. (1997). Ryskulov T. Collection of works in 3 volumes. Kazakhstan: Almaty, vol. 2, 199-274.
- Ryskulov, T. (1998). Response to the letter of a group of young people in the newspaper “Sovetskaya Steppe” “On the aul, the intelligentsia, the Communist Party and culture”. Collected works in three volumes. Kazakhstan: Almaty, vol. 3, 266-272.
- Sarmurzin, A.G. (1990). The Alash-Orda Crash. On the Past for the Future (Some Actual Problems of the History of the Communist Party of Kazakhstan in the Light of Glasnost). Kazakhstan: Almaty, 5-64.