This study examined the efficiency of public transport in Haryana from 2015-16 to 2020-21 in cognisance of the sustainable development aspect. The depots of the state roadways are considered as decision-making units. The study employed the Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) technique for estimating the scores of the overall technical efficiency (OTE) and pure technical efficiency (PTE) of decision-making units (DMUs) by using three inputs— fleet size, total staff and bus utilisation. The study considered the total daily passengers transported and effective kilometres covered for the output. Further, along with the efficiency measurement, each depot’s total number of accidents has been collected to measure safety. The findings estimated the mean value of the PTE score for all depots, which turns out to be 0.91, indicating that to improve the managerial efficiency of the entire public transport of the state, the depots need to increase the output by 9 per cent. The average OTE score of all selected units is 0.89, reflecting that these DMUs have 89 per cent worked efficiently from 2015-16 to 2020-21. The efficiency score is based on output-oriented issues, meaning that inputs will be constant for total efficiency. The study recommends the promotion of public transport based on sustainability and efficiency in the State of Haryana.
Sustainable Development, Public Road Transport, State Transport Undertaking, Haryana Roadways, Data Envelopment Analysis, Haryana, India
- Abhyankar, N., Gopal, A., Sheppard, C., Park, W. Y., & Phadke, A. (2017). Techno-Economic Assessment of Deep Electrification of Passenger Vehicles in India. https://vehicle-grid.lbl.gov/sites/default/files/lbnl-1007121_report_1.pdf.
- Agarwal, S. (2016). Evaluation of Efficiency and Effectiveness of Public Transport Sector of India Using DEA Approach. In A. Emrouznejad, R. Bankar, H. Ahn, & M. Afsharian (Eds.). Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Data Envelopment Analysis. 73-83. Braunschweig.
- Agarwal, S., Yadav, S. P., & Singh, S. P. (2010). DEA based Estimation of the Technical Efficiency of State Transport Undertakings in India. OPSEARCH, 47(3), 216–230. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12597-011-0035-4. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s12597-011-0035-4
- Aneja, R., & Sehrawat, N. (2022). Depot-Wise Efficiency of Haryana Roadways: A Data Envelopment Analysis. Arthaniti: Journal of Economic Theory and Practice, 21(1), 117–126. https://doi.org/10.1177/0976747920954973. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/0976747920954973
- Aven, T. (2020). Climate Change Risk–What is it and How Should it be Expressed? Journal of Risk Research, 23(11), 1387–1404. https://doi.org/10.1080/13669877.2019.1687578. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/13669877.2019.1687578
- Banker, R. D. (1984). Estimating Most Productive Scale Size Using Data Envelopment Analysis. European Journal of Operational Research, 17(1), 35–44. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-2217(84)90006-7. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-2217(84)90006-7
- Bansal, P., & DesJardine, M. (2014). Business Sustainability: It is About Time. Strategic Organization, 12(1). 70-78. https://doi.org/10.1177/1476127013520265. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/1476127013520265
- Buddenhagen, I. W. (1999). The Sustainability of Rice Farming. D. J. Greenland, The Quarterly Review of Biology, 74(2). 244-245. https://doi.org/10.1086/393131 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1086/393131
- Byrne, J. P., Fiess, N., & MacDonald, R. (2011). The Global Dimension to Fiscal Sustainability. Journal of Macroeconomics, 33(2). 137-150. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmacro.2011.01.002. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmacro.2011.01.002
- Chakrabartty, A., & Gupta, S. (2015). Technical Efficiency of Urban Public Transport Undertakings in India: A Study with Special Reference to CSTC. Arthshastra: Indian Journal of Economics & Research, 4(3). 20. https://doi.org/10.17010/aijer/2015/v4i3/71377. DOI: https://doi.org/10.17010/aijer/2015/v4i3/71377
- Charnes, A., Cooper, W. W., & Rhodes, E. (1978). Measuring the Efficiency of Decision-Making Units. European Journal of Operational Research, 2(6). 429-444. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-2217(78)90138-8. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-2217(78)90138-8
- Choudhuri, S. (2019). Research on Sustainable Development in India. International Journal of Recent Technology and Engineering, 8(2, Special issue 3), 1210–1215. https://doi.org/10.35940/ijrte.B1226.0782S319. DOI: https://doi.org/10.35940/ijrte.B1226.0782S319
- Greenland, D. J. (1998). The Sustainability of Rice Farming. Choice Reviews Online, 35 (7). 265. https://doi.org/10.5860/choice.35-3847. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5860/CHOICE.35-3847
- Dyllick, T., & Rost, Z. (2017). Towards True Product Sustainability. Journal of Cleaner Production, 162. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2017.05.189. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2017.05.189
- Grant, L. K. (2010). Sustainability: From Excess to Aesthetics. Behavior and Social Issues, 19(1).7-47. https://doi.org/10.5210/bsi.v19i0.2789. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5210/bsi.v19i0.2789
- Hooda, D. & Sehrawat, N. (2021). Performance Analysis of State Transport Undertaking: A Study of Haryana. International Journal of Research in Social Sciences, 11(03), 135–142.
- James, P., Magee, L., Scerri, A., & Steger, M. (2014). Urban Sustainability in Theory and Practice: Circles of Sustainability. Urban Sustainability in Theory and Practice: Circles of Sustainability. 260. https://doi.org/10.4324/9781315765747. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4324/9781315765747
- Jothilakshmy, N., & Marudachalam, V M. (2007). Sustainable Transport System. International Journal on Design and Manufacturing Technologies, 1(1), 79–84. https://doi.org/10.18000/ijodam.70016 DOI: https://doi.org/10.18000/ijodam.70016
- Mensah, J. (2019). Sustainable Development: Meaning, History, Principles, Pillars, and Implications for Human Action: Literature Review. Cogent Social Sciences, 5(1). 1-22. https://doi.org/10.1080/23311886.2019.1653531. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/23311886.2019.1653531
- Mohapatra, S., Mohanachandran, D., Dwivedi, G., Kesharvani, S., Harish, V. S. K. V., Verma, S., & Verma, P. (2023). A Comprehensive Study on the Sustainable Transportation System in India and Lessons to Be Learned from Other Developing Nations. Energies, 16(4), 1–21. https://doi.org/10.3390/en16041986. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/en16041986
- Ozili, P. K. (2022). Sustainability and Sustainable Development Research Around the World. Managing Global Transitions, 20(3), 259–293. https://doi.org/10.26493/1854-6935.20.259-293. DOI: https://doi.org/10.26493/1854-6935.20.259-293
- Orsot-Dessi, P., Ashta, A. & Mor, S. (2023) The Determinants of the Intention to use autonomous vehicles. African Journal of Science, Technology, Innovation and Development. DOI:10.1080/20421338.2023.2174754 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/20421338.2023.2174754
- Ramanathan, R., & Parikh, J. K. (1999). Transport Sector in India: An Analysis in the Context of Sustainable Development. Transport Policy, 6(1). 35-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0967-070X(98)00030-4. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0967-070X(98)00030-4
- Singh, S. K. (2017). State Transport Undertakings in India: Status and Issues. International Journal of Applied Business and Economic Research, 15, 279–297. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/322244188.
- Szymańska, A. (2021). Article Reducing Socioeconomic Inequalities in the European Union in the Context of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. Sustainability, 13(13). 28. https://doi.org/10.3390/su13137409. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/su13137409
- Tiwari, G., & Kharola, P. S. (2008). Urban Public Transport Systems: Are the Taxation Policies Congenial for Their Survival and Growth? Economic and Political Weekly. 43 (41), 41-47.
- Tordera, N., Peiró, J. M., Ayala, Y., Villajos, E., & Truxillo, D. (2020). The Lagged Influence of Organizations’ Human Resources Practices on Employees’ Career Sustainability: The Moderating Role of Age. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 120. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2020.103444 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2020.103444
- Watz, M., & Hallstedt, S. I. (2022). Towards Sustainable Product Development – Insights from Testing and Evaluating a Profile Model for Management of Sustainability Integration into Design Requirements. Journal of Cleaner Production, 346. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2022.131000 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2022.131000
- Zhao, X., Ke, Y., Zuo, J., Xiong, W., & Wu, P. (2020). Evaluation of sustainable transport research in 2000–2019. Journal of Cleaner Production, 256. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2020.120404 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2020.120404