The utility of the destination brand experience directly originates from the type of feelings of audiences present in a city. In this study, after recognising the components affecting the sense of place, their relationship with the tourism brand experience in the city of Shiraz, Iran was assessed, and the way the components made effects were investigated as well. To achieve this end, as stated above, this research was conducted using a case study of Shiraz city. The data collection was performed through observation and questionnaire, and the data analysis technique was a combination of quantitative (using SPSS software) and qualitative methods. The obtained results demonstrated that all factors in each form, activity and meaning components affected the sense of place in Shiraz; however, factors associated with the city’s history, such as historical attractions and famous people, had a remarkable effect when compared to others. Overall, consideration of the indicators influencing the sense of place in all aspects, particularly the management and operational ones (design and execution), results in a more robust connection of the audience with the destination brand, growth of sustainable tourism in Shiraz, and successful competition in the international arena.
Brand Experience, Sense of Place, Shiraz, Audience Satisfaction, Tourism, Iran
- Aminian N., Hassani, A. (2016). Effective factors on urban brand and their prioritization from perspective of international tourists (Case study: Tehran's Milad Tower). IUESA, 4(14), 551-591.
- Anholt, S. (2006). The Anholt-GMI city brands index: How the world sees the world's cities. Place branding, 2(1), 18-31. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.pb.5990042 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.pb.5990042
- Aishem, M., Mirgholami, M. (2016). A conceptual model to evaluate the sense of place using four factors of perceptual, physical, social, and functional (the case study of Imam Street in Urmia, Iran). Urban Studies, 5(19), 69-80.
- Brakus, J. (2009). Brand Experience: What Is It? How Is It Measured? Does It Affect Loyalty. Journal of Marketing. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.73.3.052
- Cai, L. A. (2002). Cooperative branding for rural destinations. Annals of Tourism Research, 29(3), 720-742. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0160-7383(01)00080-9. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0160-7383(01)00080-9
- Eric J. Arnould, Craig J. Thompson. (2005). Consumer Culture Theory (CCT): Twenty Years of Research, Journal of Consumer Research, Volume 31, Issue 4, March 2005, Pages 868–882, https://doi.org/10.1086/426626 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1086/426626
- Falahat, M. S. (2006). The concept of sense of place, and factors shaping it. Journal of Fine Arts, 26, 57-66. https://journals.ut.ac.ir/article_12321_573ebafd4063590e0b1c43953f8a6e63.pdf
- Hajibabaei, Hossein., Esmailpur, Hassan. (2019). The Analysis of Brand Love and the Impact of Associations, Satisfaction, and Trust on Brand Love. Volume 8, Issue 4 , Spring 2019, Pages 1-26. http://dx.doi.org/10.22108/nmrj.2019.105904.1366.
- Haghighi Nasab, M., Aghaei, M., & Nouri, F. (2016). Presentation a conceptual model on the impact of mental image and brand experience of tourism destination on tourism loyalty to tourism destination brand, International Conference on Civil, Architecture, Urban Management and Environment in The Millennium Third, Rasht, Iran.
- Hall, C.M. (2002). Tourism in capital cities. Tourism: An International Interdisciplinary Journal, 50(3): 235-248.
- Hankinson, G., Cowking, P. (1993). Branding in action : cases and strategies for profitable brand management. London: McGraw-Hill.
- Harrison, S. Dourish, P. (1996). Re-Place-ing Space: The Roles of Space and Place in Collaborative Systems. Proc. ACM Conf. Computer-Supported Cooperative Work CSCW'96 (Boston, MA), 67--76. New York: ACM. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/240080.240193
- Heding, T., Charlotte, F., & Bjerre, M. (2009). Brand management: Research, theory and practice (1st ed). Routledge. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4324/9780203996171
- Hendrik, S., Hekkert, P. (2008). Product Experience, (1st ed). Elsevier Science. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-008045089-6.50003-4
- Hultén, B. (2011). Sensory marketing: the multi-sensory brand-experience concept. Eur. Bus. Rev. 23, 256–273. doi: 10.1108/09555341111130245. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/09555341111130245
- Judd, D.R., Feinstein, S. (2014). The Tourist City (1st ed). Yale University Press.
- Julier, G. (2005). Urban Design spaces and the Production of Aesthetic Consent, Urban Studies, Vol.42, pp.5-6, 689-888. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/00420980500107474
- Kavaratzis, M., Ashworth, G. J. (2005) City Branding: An effective assertion of identity or a transitory marketing trick?. Tijdschrift voor economische en sociale geografie, 96(5), 506-514. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.pb.5990056 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9663.2005.00482.x
- Kozak, M. (2001). Repeaters' behaviour at two distinct destinations. Annals of Tourism Research, 28(3), 784-807. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0160-7383(00)00078-5 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0160-7383(00)00078-5
- Lynch, K. (1997). A Theory of city form. (translated by Hossein Bahrain). Tehran University Press, [in Persian]
- Mohammadpour Zarandi, H., Aminian, N. (2015). Evaluation of Tourism Sidewalks Recreation Potentials from the Perspective of Urban Sustainable Development (The Case Of 15 Khordad Avenue - Tehran). Journal of Urban Economics and Management, 3(11), 1-21. https://www.sid.ir/en/journal/ViewPaper.aspx?id=474126
- Norberg-Schulz, C. (1974). Meaning in western architecture. Praeger Publishers.
- Norman, D. A. (2004). Emotional design: Why we love (or hate) everyday things. Basic Civitas Books.
- Otto, Julie E; J.R.Brent Ritchie. (1996). The service experience in tourism, Tourism Managemen. Volume 17, Issue 3, Pages 165-174. https://doi.org/10.1016/0261-5177(96)00003-9. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/0261-5177(96)00003-9
- Parchekani, P. (2016). Through the Eyes of the Beholder: The Role of Culture in City Brand Architecture: A Case Study of Lyon, France. Journal of Art and Civilization of the Orient, 4(12), 41-50.
- Partovi, P. (2008). Phenomenological of place. Arts Academy of the Islamic Republic of Iran. [in Persian]
- Rainisto, S. K. (2013). Success factors of place marketing: A study of place marketing practices in Northern Europe and the United States. Helsinki University of Technology.
- Relph, E. (1976). Place and placelessness (Vol. 67). Pion. P: 244.
- Law, R., Bai, B., Ritchie, J. B., Tung, V. W. S., & Ritchie, R. J. (2011). Tourism experience management research. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 23(4), 419 – 438. https://doi.org/10.1108/09596111111129968. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/09596111111129968
- Schmitt, B. (2009). The concept of brand experience. J Brand Manag 16, 417–419 https://doi.org/10.1057/bm.2009.5. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1057/bm.2009.5
- Shamai, S. (1991). Sense of place: An empirical measurement. Geoforum, 22(3), 347-358. https://doi.org/10.1016/0016-7185(91)90017-K DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/0016-7185(91)90017-K
- Riel, C., & Balmer, J. M. (1997). Corporate identity: the concept, its measurement and management. European Journal of Marketing, 31(5-6), 340-355. https://doi.org/10.1108/eb060635. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/eb060635
- Valencia, J.P. (2005), Experience and the Brand, London Business School – Aim Research, London.
- Zargham, H., & Behmanesh, P. (2013). Identifying factors affecting memorable tourism experience form the perspective of cultural tourists visiting Iran. Journal of Tourism Planning and Development, 2(4), 67-88.
- Zarantonello, L. and Schmitt, B.H. (2010) Using the Brand Experience Scale to Profile Consumers and Predict Consumer Behavior. Journal of Brand Management, 17, 532-540.
- https://doi.org/10.1057/bm.2010.4 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1057/bm.2010.4